3.10.2010

Equality




I photographed a wedding in Philadelphia a couple years ago. It was my first time to the city, and what a wonderful city it was. History wasn't one of my favorite subjects in school, but being there in "the city of brotherly love" surrounded by cobblestone, neighborhood parks, a wide range of architechtural styles, the liberty bell, the constitution, Ben Franklin, the steps where Rocky trained, in short, it was pretty amazing. One day, I've promissed myself,  I will go back and really explore that city.
The big thing that stood out to me was this, and reminders are written all over the city, and it's from our founding document, the Declaration of Independance:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. "

We've all heard this, most of us believe it, many of us live it. Unfortunatly many are still not allowed to live it, they aren't viewed as equal by the law.

No comments: